Deputies can become members of the following specialized units:
- Special Operations Group (SOG) – SOG consists of XX SWAT Operators and Tactical Members that render support to the Criminal Division, Corrections Division, and local law enforcement utilizing capabilities ranging from high risk warrant execution and active shooter incidents to cell extractions and crowd control. SOG personnel provide training to other police agencies and they also provide a risk review and training for houses of worship, schools, and businesses free of charge.
- K-9 Unit - The unit administers its own K-9 handler school for patrol, narcotics, and explosive detection dogs for the Sheriff’s Office and local agencies. The unit provides support services to the Criminal Division and local law enforcement.
- Bike Unit – Specially trained Deputies use bicycles to support Sheriff’s Office and local police agencies activities at events where traditional patrol vehicles are unable to be utilized. In addition they provide patrol coverage on the Heritage Trail, a converted railway bed that is a highly popular recreational resource in Orange County.
- Marine Unit– Deputies operate a patrol craft on the Hudson River within the waters of Orange County and also participate in joint operations with other Marine Units in conjunction with the U.S. Coast Guard related to boater safety and Homeland Security.
- Honor Guard - Composed of Deputies and Correction Officers this precision unit marches in various parades where it has a long history of capturing awards for their performances. In addition this unit presents colors at a variety of ceremonies, funerals, and memorials.
- ATV Unit - This unit provides off-road vehicles for support of Sheriff’s Office, local police and other agencies.
- Safe Child Unit -The OCSO provides Operation Safe Child cards as a free public service administered by the NY State Sheriffs Association. Using the latest digital fingerprinting technology and high resolution photography OCSO members are able to produce these cards for parents and guardians. The goal of the program is to record and store fingerprints, basic biological info and photographs; information critical to expedite the return of a missing child.
- CNT Unit:-The OCSO Crisis Negotiation Team is composed of both deputies and correction officers. Crisis negotiation is a technique for law enforcement to communicate with people who are in a difficult situation (crisis) and who are threatening violence to themselves or others. They may become barricaded in a building or vehicle or take others hostage. Persons In crisis include stalkers, mentally ill persons, suicidal people, terrorists, and violent people In the workplace. The goal of the CNT Unit is to effectively communicate with the subject for a peaceful resolution.
Click here to return to Criminal Division Main Page