Kenneth T. Jones, Undersheriff
Serving since January 3, 2003.
New York State Police
- Oversees all operational aspects of the Sheriff’s Office.
- Interacts directly with senior staff of Sheriff’s and Corrections Divisions.
- Directs development, preparation and presentation of budget to Sheriff, County Executive and legislature.
- Interacts with more than 30 other police agencies, ranging from small part-time village police forces to the New York State Police.
- Approves and monitors expenditures to ensure budget compliance.
- Researches, identifies and proposes alternative methodologies to operational standards.
- Oversee and directs all Homeland Security grant applications, management and implementation for Orange County Law Enforcement.
- Directs all internal affairs investigations.
- Selects and provides oversight of all training programs.
- Ensures compliance with all accreditation standards, including modification of policies and procedures as necessary.
- Interacts and implements services of the Office as it applies to other county departments.
- Oversees the operation of the financial section that interacts with other county departments in order to process and maintain compliance with all county policies and procedures concerning requisitions, vouchers, purchase orders, bidding procedures and compliance, purchase and payroll.
- Represents the Sheriff in all collective bargaining and actions related to administration of the negotiated contracts.
- Oversees development and activations of Sheriff’s SOG and Honor Guard.
September 24, 1979 - January 2, 2003
March 1980 – February 1986, Upon graduation from SP Academy was assigned to SP Monroe, Monroe, N.Y. Established expertise and/or certification in:
February 1986 – August 1989, Assigned to Troop F Identification Section, promoted to Investigator in November 1986. The Troop Identification Section was responsible for; (1) Administrative processing/filing of all mug shots and fingerprint cards for all Troop F arrests; (2) Administrative processing/filing of all film utilized in Troop F to record events consistent with NYSP Rules and Regulations; (3) Response to field for forensic processing of crime scenes; (4) Processing evidence for the development and identification of latent ridge detail.
- Vehicle & Traffic Enforcement (Radar Operations)
- Accident Investigation
- VIN Identification
- Breathalyzer operation
Established expertise and/or certification as:
August 1989 – September 1996, served as Investigator in SP Palisades BCI Squad and SP Middletown BCI Squad, responsible for criminal investigations and other investigations as assigned by BCI duties in the NYSP Rules and Regulations. The mission included support of federal, state and local police operations by providing investigative support for major investigations.. Established expertise and/or certification in:
- Latent Print Examiner
- Crime Scene Technician
- Forensic Photographer
September 1996 – January 2003, Transferred to Mid-Hudson Drug Enforcement Task Force (MHDETF). The MHDETF was a multi-agency task that targeted mid to upper level drug activity in Orange, Ulster and Sullivan Counties. Established expertise and/or certification in:
- Technology Crimes Investigator (Internet, Telecommunication)
- White Collar Crimes Specialist (Financial Crimes, Net worth Investigations)
- Technology Crimes Investigator (Internet, Telecommunications)
Sullivan County Community College, Loch Sheldrake, NY
- Undercover Narcotics Investigations (Covert Electronic and Physical Surveillance)
- Federal and State asset forfeiture
January 1988 - Present
CRJ 1113 - Criminal Investigation
CRJ 1115 – Introduction to Criminal Investigation
CRJ 1117 – Police Operations
All are required courses for Criminal Justice A.A.S.
New York State Troopers PBA and NYSP Investigators Association BCI – East Alternate Delegate
Troop F Delegate - Secretary/Treasurer
June 1989 – May 1994
Appointed alternate delegate representing members of the BCI – East (Troops B, G, F, K, L and NYC) of the New York State Troopers PBA for all matters related to labor representation including collective bargaining, discipline and dispute resolution.
May 1994 - December 2002
Founding member of NYSPIA – Local 4 – IUPA –AFL-CIO, a union that represents all members of the New York State Police BCI. Was elected three times by membership vote to the positions of Troop F Delegate and statewide Secretary/Treasurer.
- Sole custodian of all association property.
- Assembled and presented the operational budget to the Board of Directors
- Managed the approved budget.
- Reviewed and awarded vendor contracts.
- Recommended and maintained professional services.
- Managed day-to-day activities of the association’s operations.
- Lead member on the committee that negotiated all facets of collective bargaining, including wages, benefits and all other forms of compensation.
- Represented members in a variety of forums including grievance, discipline, improper practice and workers compensation.
- Shared with the President, the responsibility of lobbying efforts, on behalf of our members, in the New York State Senate, Assembly and Office of the Governor concerning a variety of proposed legislative initiatives and actions.
Warwick Valley High School
Graduated June 1973
State University College at Buffalo, New York
Graduated May, 1977 - B.S. in Administration of Criminal Justice
- Level 400 FEMA ICS/NIMS Training
- Colonel Henry F. Williams Homicide Seminar
- Management seminar “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”
- TPS-Lean Six Sigma Management Training
- Orange County “Team Orange” Management training
- Labor Arbitration Institute – Labor Law and Arbitration Seminars
- Consultant for publication – Investigations in Long-Term Care Facilities: Implementing a Standardized Model, Rowe and Amo, Vendome Group, LLC, ISBN: 1-933692-17-0
- Numerous other seminars covering criminal law enforcement, labor and management issues.