Bookmark and Share

County Clerk

Annie visiting Mt Hope residents to discuss passport requirements



The County Clerk's office offers full passport services including passport photos.

Routine, priority or expedited passport applications may be obtained and processed at the Orange County Clerk’s Passport Office, located at 4 Glenmere Cove Road, Parry Building, Goshen, New York 10924.  Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  No evening hours will be available.

Recent U.S. Dept of State change:  If you are ELIGIBLE to renew by mail, you must renew by mail using the DS-82 form.

When applying for a passport, please be prepared to provide the following:

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship in one of three forms: a birth certificate with a raised seal, a filing date and the names of BOTH parents (NOT a hospital certificate or a photocopy), original naturalization papers or an old U.S. Passport issued in your name.
  2. Complete the appropriate application provided at this office written neatly in black ink only. DO NOT sign the form until in the presence of the clerk.
  3. Passport photos may be taken in this office or you may bring two identical passport photos, 2" x 2" with a white background and a full front view of head and shoulders.
  4. Driver’s License or other acceptable form of I.D. such as an old passport, military I.D. or government I.D. is acceptable. If none of these are available, bring at least 3 forms of your own current I.D., and bring someone with you who has known you for a least TWO years. This witness must present a valid drivers license when executing an "Affidavit of Identifying Witness" for the person applying for a passport application.
  5. All minors must appear. Both parents must give consent and appear with applicants 15 years old and under. One parent must accompany applicants 16 or 17 years of age. For further details see: 
  6. Payment: Check or money order for $110.00 adult, $80.00 minor (under16) is made payable to U.S. Dept. of State
  7. An additional $25.00 (cash or check) application fee is made payable to Orange County Clerk.

Passports may take approximately six weeks. If you wish to rush your application, you may pay an extra expedite fee of $60.00. Price does not include urgent mailing or delivery service. This service must be arranged by the customer. Contact the Orange County Passport Office for information regarding how to expedite a passport.

You now have the option to apply for a Passport Book, a Passport Card, or both. The Passport Card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. The Passport Card will provide a less expensive, smaller and more convenient alternative for those who travel to these destinations.

The fee for an adult Passport Card is $30.00, a minor’s Passport Card in $15.00 and the execution fee is $25.00. The execution fee is waived if you are applying for a Passport Book at the same time (you only pay the execution fee once).





1.) What form do I Use?

All minors, all first time applicants, all adults with very old passports (more than 5 years expired) or issued before their 16th birthday must appear and fill out DS-11.

2.) What must I provide with my application?
  • Official birth certificate with a raised, embossed or multicolored seal with the names of BOTH parents and filing date, or previous passport, or, original Naturalization or Citizenship Certificate. Applicants under the age of 16 need a long form birth certificate and a previous passport, if one exists.
  • Official picture identification (ie; Driver’s License) when applying for a new passport.
  • Two identical passport pictures (We take in our office-$10.00)
  • The applicant’s social security number
  • A check or money order as described in question 3 below.
  • If the applicant is over 18 years but does not possess a Driver’s License, a witness must appear with the applicant. The witness must have 2 forms of I.D..  Driver's License or passport must be one form of I.D... The applicant over 18 with no Driver’s License must have two forms of I.D. such as a library card, school I.D., medical card, or social security card.

3.) How much does it cost and how do I make out my checks?

The U.S. Department of State passport fees must be paid by check or money order and are as follows:
  • Adults age 16 years or older $110.00 for book; $30.00 for card
  • Minors under the age of 16 years $80.00 for book, $15.00 for card
  • Make checks payable to DEPARTMENT OF STATE

4.) What if I need it sooner than 6 weeks?

If your departure is sooner than 6 weeks, we recommend that you utilize the "Expedite Service" which is 3 week turnaround ($60 extra charge per applicant and consider express delivery service. Please inquire at time of application for overnight delivery information).  If you go directly to one of the Passport Offices located in Stamford, Connecticut or New York City, you should get your passport within 8 business days. You must also have all the items listed in question #2 above. You also need proof of travel plans. Call the centers before you appear. You MUST have proof of departure and you MUST have an appointment. Call 1-877-487-2778 to make the arrangements

5.) What if I want to check the status of my application?

Call the National Passport Information Center , toll free at 1-877-487-2778 or you can check the status of your application at

6.) Where can I get my pictures taken?

We take passport photos at our office ($10.00 fee) or pictures can be taken at locations offering "official passport pictures". Please remember that passport pictures must meet strict requirements.

7.) Will the documents (old Passport, naturalization or birth certificate) I submitted with my application be returned to me?

Yes, with the exception of affidavits done specifically for application purposes.

8.) When will my passport expire?

An adult’s passport (age 16 & over) is valid for 10 years. A minor’s passport (under 16) is valid for 5 years.

9.) Where can I get a money order?

Money orders can be obtained from banks, U.S. Post Office etc.

10.) How do I get my birth certificate?

Birth certificates can be obtained at the Town/City Clerk in the location where the birth took place. For births in New York State, but outside of New York City, they can also be obtained by calling (518) 474-3077. For births in NYC call: (212) 788-4250. For 24 hour customer assistance for ordering, pricing and delivery information call 1-800-255-2414 or download a request form from the vital check web site http//

11.) How can I renew my passport?

Passports issued when you are over 16 years of age and which are not more than 5 years expired, can be renewed through the mail by using Form DS-82 available at website

12.) Who should I call if I need more information?

Orange County Clerk’s Office (845) 291-2698

at 4 Glenmere Cove Road, Goshen, New York 10924.

Office hours are: Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
or visit

13.) What is a Passport Card?

The Passport Card is a United States Passport issued in card format. Like the traditional Passport Book, it reflects the bearer’s origin, identity and nationality and is subject to existing passport laws and regulations. Unlike the Passport Book, the card is valid only for international travel by land or sea between the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. It is not globally acceptable and is not valid for travel by air to or from any foreign destination.