DA Hoovler's Biography
David M. Hoovler is the elected District Attorney of Orange County. During his career, he has held positions as:
- Assistant district attorney in Orange County, where he handled complex and high-profile cases under former District Attorney Frank Phillips;
- Assistant district attorney in Bronx County;
- United States Department of Justice trial attorney in the Criminal Division, where he specialized in electronic surveillance issues, wiretapping, and complex narcotic
- Police detective in Prince George’s County, Maryland;
- Hoovler was a partner in the Chester-based firm of Ostrer & Hoovler, P.C., where he specialized in criminal defense and municipal law, until being elected District Attorney in 2013.
Dave’s professional efforts have resulted in a series of honors, including:
- New York State Arson Prosecutor of the Year;
- National Award of Achievement for Animal Cruelty Prosecution;
- FBI Award of Merit – Newburgh-based BBK Gang Prosecution;
- Federal Executive Board Teamwork Award for Narcotics and Gang Prosecution;
- New York City Police Department Organized Crime Control Bureau Award of Merit.
In addition to his legal career, Dave has been active in youth organizations and local government. His activities with youth include:
- The Port Jervis Youth Football League, where his leadership has helped the organization expand its offerings to young people, earning state recognition along the way;
- Port Jervis High School, where he volunteers with the school’s anti-bullying campaign;
- Leadership Orange, where, after graduating himself, he has continued his involvement by helping young leaders understand the role and impact that government has on their communities.
While he was Deputy Supervisor in the Town of Deerpark, Dave:
- Helped draft long-term financial plans to achieve greater financial stability;
- Assisted in the creation of an emergency management response law, making the Town a model for New York State;
- Spoke at the annual Association of Towns of the State of New York Winter Municipal Training Conference on various subjects such as emergency preparedness, emergency management, and FEMA reimbursement.
Since taking office as District Attorney, Dave has received numerous community honors and awards, including:
- The Donald Schields, Jr., Law Enforcement Award;
- The Dana Distributors 2015 Recognition Award for DWI prosecution;
- The 2015 Hudson Valley Boy Scouts of America Orange County “Distinguished Citizen Award;”
- Induction into the Leadership Orange Hall of Fame in 2015.
A resident of the Town of Deerpark, Dave is a graduate of the University of Maryland and Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University.
If you would like to contact District Attorney Hoovler to attend or speak at a community function, he may be reached via email to YDiaz@orangecountygov.com.